My friend came up to me and asked me to watch a time lapsed video of her painting a beautiful 10×10 mural. She said the time lapse covers 6 full days of painting.
As she played the video, I could definitely see what she said was true. Through the time lapse, I could literally see her sleeping in a sleeping bag in front of the unfinished mural. Clearly she must’ve been working H-A-R-D on this painting.
Then the last ten seconds of the video slowed down and was in real-time. The video shows the beautiful mural completed, and my friend in front it, clearly happy and nearly euphoric with the finishing of the painting.
But then she grabs a 5 gallon tub of white paint, and throws it all over the mural, ruining 5-6 days of hard work in an instant!
At first it looks like it can be salvaged, but by the time the video ends, nearly the entire mural is covered. There are remnants of the once-beautiful mural on the side and tippy top of the wall, but the majority was wiped clean in the last 10 seconds of the video.
6 days of work, and almost nothing to show for it.
I looked over at her and thought she must be crazy.
6 days of what must’ve been outrageously hard work, and she threw it away.
The worst part? This got me thinking about how we work to lose fat, and….
This is exactly what many of us do when it comes to our fat loss goals!
We spend 5-6 days of the week doing everything right. Eating healthy foods. Watching our macros (fat, protein, and carbs), drinking tons of water, getting in quality sleep, and working out 3-5x a week.
You foam roll and stretch. You use Fat Secret or MyFitnessPal or one of the electronic wrist trackers (jawbone, fitbit, or an off brand).
Everything is right, and then the weekend halts progress, sometimes in minutes!
So, how do you still prevail and get results?
The answer lies in how you approach fat loss in the first place.
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself:
1) How much fat do I want to lose in the next 90 days?
ex: This number should be big enough to force you to change your habits, but not so big that you fail. Depending on your current body fat %, this could be anywhere from 8 to 25lbs.
2) What are the three biggest habits I have that are stopping me from reaching that fat loss?
ex: Drinking two nights each weekend, eating lunch out at work every day, and my husband’s ice cream cravings
3) Is there anything I could immediately would help me reach my goal WITHOUT affecting the quality of life?
ex: I could start packing a lunch, I don’t even like where my coworkers want to go eat!
4) _______________ (be specific) I am doing now that I am 100% unwilling to give up, even if it means I don’t lose fat because of it.
ex: I am unwilling to give up drinking at least one night a week.
5) Is the reason why I want to lose fat strong enough to see me through?
ex: My family has a history of heart disease, and I lost my dad at an early age. I want my daughter to grow up knowing her mom.
Next, write out 3-5 positive affirmation statements on a goal card and keep it in your pocket at all times. Whenever it gets tough to follow, pull out your goal card and read it.
1. I will lose 15lbs in the next 90 days.
2. I will pack my lunches 9/10 times for the next 90 days.
3. I will only drink alcohol only one time a week the next 90 days.
4. I will be a present mother for my family because I will be healthy enough to be there.
5. I will maintain 1650 calories (60g fat, 155g carbs, 120g protein) daily
Keep those with you and give it a whirl. It doesn’t matter what your goals are, this tool will help you get there. These simple tricks usually don’t work because people don’t do them, but I know you’re different, and you will utilize this trick and tactic to accomplish your goal.
If you do it right, the next 90 days will bring massive change for you and your goals.